Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) occurs when the tongue and soft palate collapse onto the back of the throat, blocking air flow into the lungs. Lacking oxygen, the brain awakens the sleeping person to breathe (up to 300 times per night!), depriving the person of essential REM sleep and causing a list of problems associated with chronic lack of sleep.
Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder. People with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep. Even though this process can happen hundreds of times each night most are not aware it is happening.
Quick Facts About Obstructive Sleep Apnea:
- 1 in 5 adults have it
- 30 Million Americans snore
- Fewer than 10% have been diagnosed
- Nearly 50% of middle-aged adults snore
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) increases the risk of heart attacks, hypertension, congestive heart failure, stroke, diabetes, reflux disease, impotence, & motor vehicle accidents.
- Your partner can lose up to 1 hour of sleep due to your snoring
You may have OSA if you experience these symptoms:
- Daytime sleepiness
- Morning Headaches
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Experienced gasping
- Energy loss
- Memory loss
- Grinding teeth at night
There is over 15 years of evidence supporting the effectiveness of oral appliances. This specially designed “mouth piece” fits over your teeth and is custom-made for you by a licensed dentist who has advanced training in dental sleep medicine. Our custom designed orthotic device gently realigns the tongue and jaw to assure an open airway and allow normal air flow to the lungs as you sleep. Treatment is simple and can be completed in a few appointments!
The benefits of wearing an oral appliance:
- Covered by most medical insurances
- Easy to use and comfortable to wear
- Easy to travel with
- Better sleep
- Improved daytime functioning
- Higher compliance rates than CPAP
- Less snoring