IV SEDATION DENTISTRY
We recognize that some of our patients may feel anxious or apprehensive about receiving dental care. Our doctors and staff work hard to make sure that you have a comfortable, positive experience, and that’s why we are pleased to offer sedation dentistry for those patients needing a little extra comfort before receiving treatment. Feeling anxious about receiving dental care should never prevent you from having the beautiful, healthy smile you deserve.
CUSTOMIZED SEDATION DENTISTRY THAT IS SAFE AND EFFECTIVE
There are different types of sedation dentistry, and you and your doctor will work together to decide on a personalized treatment plan that will give you the care you need while ensuring your comfort every step of the way.
HOW SEDATION DENTISTRY WORKS
When you arrive at our practice, our staff will be waiting for you and will escort you to a private room where you will be treated.
Your doctor will gently place an IV and administer medication to help you into a deeper state of relaxation. Once your treatment is complete, you will wake up feeling refreshed, with little or no memory of the appointment and a beautiful new smile. You will need someone to accompany you to your appointment because you will not be able to drive.
Using sedation dentistry, we are able to complete many different procedures, including complex smile makeovers, in just one office visit.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT SEDATION DENTISTRY
We understand that you may have many questions about sedation dentistry before receiving treatment. Here are some of the most common questions and answers about sedation dentistry.
- Will I feel anything during my treatment?
In most cases, patients do not feel anything. There is very little discomfort, and many patients wake up feeling relaxed and comfortable with almost no memory of the treatment.
- Is sedation dentistry the same as being unconscious?
No. You will still be conscious and responsive but you will be a deep state of relaxation.
- Is sedation dentistry safe?
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way for many patients to receive dental treatment. Before starting your treatment with IV sedation, your doctor will talk with you and help you decide whether IV sedation is right for your treatment.
- How long will it take the sedation to wear off?
The time it takes for the sedatives to wear off depends on the dose you’ve received, how long your treatment is, and how quick your own body can recover. Because being under sedation causes drowsiness, it is recommended that you have a family member or friend drive you to and from your appointment. After your treatment, you will not want to drive, drink alcohol, or operate machinery.
- Am I a good candidate for sedation dentistry?Any patients, from children to adults, who experience dental anxiety, are good candidates for sedation dentistry. If you have any of the following fears or concerns, ask your doctor about sedation dentistry as an option for your next dental treatment.
- Extreme dental anxiety or fear of visiting the dentist
- Fear of needles and/or shots
- Past traumatic dental experience
- Inability to handle the smells or noises of being at a dentist’s office
- Overly sensitive teeth, a strong gag reflex, or trouble getting numb
- Need for a more complex dental treatment
- Self-consciousness regarding your teeth
- Desire for a more comfortable dental treatment
If you feel that you could benefit from sedation dentistry at your next appointment, please contact us and let us know how we can better accommodate your needs.